You notice large water stains forming on the ceiling of your business, and it quickly sends you into a panic. You know that you’re going to have to get the issue fixed, but you have no idea how extensive the problem actually is to deal with it correctly. That’s why in this article, Andy’s Roofing is going to explain whether or not you should get your commercial roof repaired or replaced.
When determining whether a commercial roof needs repairs or to be replaced, there are several important factors to be taken into consideration.
- Your roof will need to be worked on only once the damage has occurred either through severe weather conditions or normal wear and tear. Signs of damage can be visible roof damage, water stains, or pooled water.
- As a business owner, you should schedule regular inspections so any damage to your roof will be discovered quickly, and you’ll be able to have it repaired before it turns into a bigger problem.
- While getting a roof repaired may seem cheaper than getting it replaced, there are many factors to consider before deciding purely based on the price.
- As a business owner, you may be tempted to do DIY repairs, but if they are done improperly they can damage your roof even more so than before. If you are ever unsure, you should contact a professional commercial roofing agency.
- There are many different signs that you need to be aware of that your commercial roof needs to be replaced. These signs can include its age, extensive damage, or if it is energy inefficient.
3 Ways to Know if Your Commercial Roof is Facing Roof Repairs or a Replacement
A commercial roof may have to undergo repairs or even an entire roof replacement after a certain amount of damage has occurred. Damage to your commercial roof can typically happen due to exposure to extreme weather conditions or from old age. There are many signs that your roof needs repairs that you should be on the lookout for. These signs can include:
- Visible Roof Damage: These signs are one of the most obvious to see on your commercial roof. They can take the form of cracks, punctures, or holes that exist within the roof.
- Water Stains: These are another obvious sign that damage has occurred on your commercial roof. They can form on the roof or ceiling of your business, and puddles may also form. Water damage can be very damaging to your commercial roof and business, so it is important that the issue is dealt with immediately.
- Pooled Water: If water pools on your commercial roof, it is a sign that your roof needs to undergo repairs. It typically means that the drainage system of the roof is not working properly which can lead to long-term problems if not quickly fixed.
If you notice any of these signs of damage on your commercial roof, you must have them dealt with immediately. If you wait too long, the issue will most likely get even worse and the repairs could turn into a roof replacement.
Why Your Commercial Roof Needs Regular Inspections
As a business owner, it is important that you have regular inspections done on your commercial roof. Scheduling regular inspections for your commercial roof is one of the simplest ways to prevent major damage from occurring. This is because regular inspections allow for minor damage to be discovered and repaired before it turns into a massive issue for you.
Early detection of damages done to a commercial roof can save you both time and money. For example, when small damages turn into a larger issue because of neglect, the cost for repairs raises dramatically than if you had done repairs on the smaller issues. Furthermore, regular inspections can help increases the lifespan of your commercial roof because you will be preventing wear and damage to occur. Roof replacements can be expensive, so prolonging a roof’s lifespan can save you money. Overall, regular roof inspections are a simple way to ensure that your commercial roof is functioning properly and doesn’t need any repairs.
The Costs of Repairs Versus Replacements
For most of us, it seems obvious that repairs would most likely be cheaper than a roof replacement. And for the most part that is true, if a roof repair will sufficiently fix the issue on your commercial roof, it is much more inexpensive to get a repair than a replacement. Roof repairs take less manpower, roofing materials, and time, so they will typically be the cheaper option between the two.
Though business owners need to consider whether a repair is a short-term or long-term solution. If it is only a short-term solution, it can actually force you to spend more money. This is because you’re going to have to get your commercial roof continuously repaired, and this will quickly become expensive. In fact, in some cases, it may be more affordable to get a roof replacement because while it is expensive, it will be a one-time expense.
Are DIY Commercial Roof Repairs A Good Option?
Many business owners may be tempted to try to repair their commercial roofs by themselves, but it is important to know your own limitations. DIY Repairs, while they may initially seem cheaper, can often be more expensive and damage your roof even more severely if done improperly. A botched repair job will help no one, that’s why if you’re unsure of your skill level or what needs to be done you should call in a commercial roofing expert. They will be able to provide you with the appropriate repairs needed for the job while protecting your business.
Signs That You Need To Replace Your Commercial Roof
While getting your commercial roof repaired is the cheaper option, eventually you will have to get it replaced. There are several different reasons that you may need to get a roof replacement, and they can include:
- Age: Once a commercial roof hits a certain age, it may be time to consider replacing it. A commercial roof typically lasts for 20-30 years, and once it hits that timespan, you should consider replacing it. When the materials of a commercial roof age they can crack, curl, rust, or even blister. When these symptoms occur it’s a clear signal that you may need to replace your roof.
- Extensive Damage: If your roof undergoes extensive damage it most likely means that your commercial roof will need to be replaced. This is especially true if the issue has led to structural damage occurring on your commercial roof. In fact, if the damage is extensive enough it may be cheaper to get a roof replacement than repairs.
- Energy Inefficiency: Oftentimes, as a commercial roof ages, it will become increasingly energy inefficient. This can become evident by your energy bills rising as you attempt to heat and cool your business. Energy inefficiency can occur because your roof’s insulation has deteriorated, roofing materials have aged, and cracks have formed in it. A new roof can reverse these issues, and it will once again become energy efficient.
These are three clear signs that your commercial roof may need to be replaced. If you ever find yourself in the position of needing your commercial roof repaired or replaced, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Andy’s Roofing. We’re dedicated to providing you with the best commercial roofing services, no matter what problem you’re facing. So call us now for a free roof inspection, our number is (309)333-5806!